Left Turn Accidents can be so deadly:
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration studies have shown that 40% of all accidents are due to left turns at an intersection. These accidents can be fatal.
What are common causes of left turns are:
- Obstructed view while turning
- Blind spots
- Misjudgment of another drivers’ action
- Miscalculation of the distance across the intersection
- Illegal maneuvers
Why are drivers that are turning left are presumed negligent?
Most of the drivers that are turning left don’t have the right of way. These drivers must wait they must wait for oncoming traffic before turning. The left turning driver have to show proof that they were not at fault. Some examples include:
- Showing that the other driver increased his speed and drove through a yellow or red light.
- Traffic blocking the intersections
- The other driver is driving the vehicle under the influence
- The other driver is driving the vehicle distracted.
How can I make safe left turns?
Follow these tips to make safe left turns:
- Use your blinker to notify the other drivers in a timely manner
- Make sure there is nothing blocking your view
- Measure out the “gaps” between traffic so you can make it over safely
- Follow all speed limit signs
- Obey all traffic laws
- BE PATIENT!
Having good driving habits will lessen the chances of getting into a fatal accident.
Contact The Reyes Firm at 813-421-3411
We are here for you 24/7 and have the experience to protect your interests and get you the recovery you deserve. Call us today – and above all be safe on the roads!