LETS WORK TOGETHER TO KEEP OUR CYCLISTS SAFE:
Did you know that Tampa is the most dangerous place to bike in America?
Tampa-St. Petersburg area has 7.0 bicyclists deaths from 2007-2016 per 100,000 people according to a Wall Street Journal study. Though we wish the numbers will decrease, the current models predict that the numbers will double in the years to come.
Why are the accidents happening?
- Distracted driving (i.e. texting while driving)
- The Warm Weather Effect- Because it is warm outside, everyone is out doing outdoor activities i.e. walking, jogging, and biking. This then increases the number of cyclists and pedestrians at risk.
- Driver Population- Florida unlike other states have a large number of young drivers, elderly drivers, and out-of-state drivers which then causes a higher risk for accidents and injury.
- Poor Road Designs- A lot of places in Tampa still don’t have a bike lane or other safe routes for cyclists, which forces them to use the road, shoulders, or the sidewalk. None of those options are safe for our cyclist or pedestrians.
What Should you do?
We can’t control the design of the city or the weather, but we can make it safer for both sides.
- Things to do as a cyclist:
- Wear the proper safety gear, this also includes the right helmet
- Sick to bike-friendly roads
- Share the road!
- Give yourself enough time when crossing an intersection
- Things to do as a driver:
- Put down the phone! It can wait!
- Always drive within the speed limit
- Leave enough room between you and the cyclist
- Share the road!
- Look for cyclist and pedestrians
Injured in a bike crash? A loved one injured in a bike crash? Call me and let me help you get back on the road cycling sooner!
Contact The Reyes Firm at 813-421-3411
We are here for you 24/7 and have the experience to protect your interests and get you the recovery you deserve. Call us today – and above all be safe on the roads!