Buses are large and heavy vehicles on the road that carry a considerable accident risk – regardless of whether or not the vehicle is a school shuttle, city tour bus, or everyday public transit. Filing a bus accident claim with the professional assistance of top lawyers is the first step to finding out your legal rights. Additionally, for grieving families, the trauma of losing their loved ones is permanent. However, bus accident claim lawyers are dedicated to ensuring victims and their families who have lost their loved ones receive the compensation they need to aid in the financial impact these types of collisions have.
Causes of a bus accident
- Negligence of the bus company: The bus company’s negligence is a common cause of accidents. Although the sector is regulated, bus inspections and record-keeping regulations are not as severe as those in the aircraft industry. Many business bus fleets are outdated and don’t have seat belts and other safety measures. Poor maintenance or insufficient driver training may lead to a bus accident.
- Negligence of the bus driver: Sometimes the laws governing bus drivers are evaded. Hours of service laws that limit how long a driver can be on the road and specify mandatory breaks; bus speed, and turning and passing protocols are examples of these. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is extremely dangerous and illegal. Mobile phone conversations or texts may cause a driver to get distracted. Driver drowsiness, which is frequently induced by obstructive sleep apnea, puts drivers at 2.5 times the risk of a highway accident than other drivers. In such cases, filing a driver’s negligence accident claim will help you win maximum compensation for your case.
- Weather or road conditions: Although hazardous weather or road conditions don’t frequently result in bus accidents, they might worsen due to the weight and difficulty to manage the bus. Bus drivers need to be properly trained to operate the vehicle in all weather conditions. Nevertheless, they should take safety precautions, such as reducing speed when the weather is bad.
Injured in a Florida bus accident?
Victims of bus accidents may find it difficult to maintain their standard of living after the incident, which can be isolating and depressing. However, the bus accident victims feel excluded or unsupported when they resume their normal lives after a crash because they are not alone in their problems. Of all the states in the country, Florida has the most registered buses. This is the foremost reason why bus accidents are increasing in Florida. Those who face these tragic experiences shouldn’t worry that their situation would make them an outcast. A knowledgeable bus accident claim attorney will prove to you proven strategies to win your lawsuit.
Things to do after your bus accident
- Emergency response: After your bus accident, it is the responsibility of the bus staff to contact the emergency services if they are in the right state. If not, you need to seek medical advice from your doctor or call 911.
- Report your accident: A distracted driver, malfunction of the vehicle, another driver, and/ or a pedestrian on the road are some of the cases of a bus accident. Therefore, filing a bus accident lawsuit will help you get fair compensation to report the incident.
- Documentation: Gather evidence of your bus accident by taking photographs, and capturing videos. You can also take professional assistance from the police to gather evidence of your bus accident. It will help you get the maximum bus accident settlement amount by making your claim stronger.
- Witnesses: If you are in a condition to do so, you should also gather the names along with contact information of other passengers on board, the driver, and any other person who may have been a witness to the incident.
- Write all the things: As the information is still fresh, you are advised to write up a self-report such as the information you may remember from the accident, the road and weather conditions, and more.
Nevertheless, you need to collect as much information as possible immediately as memories tend to fade with time. It will help you get a fair bus accident settlement in 2022 with a hassle-free procedure. However, some injuries, such as ones to your spine, back, and the brain develop over time. Therefore, take immediate medical help to keep any documentation to help you in making a valid claim and receiving the full bus accident compensation claim.
Compensation from a bus accident lawsuit
According to the extent of your injuries and the circumstances surrounding the bus crash, you are eligible to recover the damages for injury-related costs, including:
- Blood work or blood transfusions.
- Doctor’s visit.
- Hospital stays.
- Imaging tests, such as CT scans, X-rays, and MRIs).
- Lost wages.
- Loss of consortium.
- Therapy and rehabilitation.
- Medical devices, such as crutches, wheelchairs, and more.
- Medication expenses.
- Pain and suffering.
Factors that impact your bus crash settlement
There is no average bus accident settlement as each case has different specifics that determine your damages. But the size of your bus accident settlement claim will be influenced by three primary factors:
- The severity of your injuries.
- Insurance policy.
- The person that is liable for the bus accident.
How to find the right bus accident lawyer?
Before fixing your search with any of the lawyers, you need to ask certain questions to file your bus accident claim in Florida. It includes:
- Do you have experience dealing with bus accident lawsuits?
- Do you take time to walk with your clients to explain your options honestly?
- Do you have proper time to handle my bus accident lawsuit?
- Do you have any experience negotiating and litigating large bus accident cases?
- How do you get paid?
Consult with The Reyes Firm
If you or anyone you love has been harmed by a bus accident, or any other type of personal injury, reach out to The Reyes Firm. We have a team of reputed bus accident lawyers in Florida who will provide you with legal advice and produce a strong lawsuit. We will help you determine if the bus driver, bus company, or another entity was careless. You can call us at (833)422-3329 to get a free case evaluation. We will surely fight for your bus accident claim to secure justice for you and your loved ones.