According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), around 41 deaths and 133,000 severe injuries were linked to scooter accidents and other micro-mobility devices from 2017 to 2019. If you or someone you know has been injured by a scooter accident, filing a scooter accident lawsuit is your best decision.
Types of scooter injuries Brain injuries
- Bleeding in the brain (intracranial hemorrhage).
- Bone fractures in arms and legs.
- Broken wrist, ankle, toes, and fingers.
- Eye injury and vision loss.
- Facial fractures.
- Face lacerations.
- Organ damage.
- Permanent disability.
- Teeth damage.
- Torn ligaments and tendons.
Types of scooter accident lawsuits
When you file a scooter accident lawsuit payout after an accident, you need to determine if there was a negligent party responsible for your injuries and damages. For instance, the negligent party can be the motorist, the municipality, or the manufacturer of the scooter. Therefore, depending on the details of your accident, your settlement attorney for the scooter accident will help you determine the negligent party.
- Driver error: Crashes between the scooter driver and the motorists are the most dangerous forms of collision. Therefore, if you are hit by a vehicle, you can file a compensation claim and recover your losses and injuries from the motorist or their insurance company. The scooter accident compensation claim is also similar to car accidents, bicycle accidents, or motor vehicle accidents.
- Manufacturer defects: Have you ever seen a video of a scooter, e-bike, and more catching fire due to manufacturing defects? The manufacturer’s defects include malfunctioning wheels, brakes, electrical components, or anything else that fails with your scooter. A personal injury attorney will help you determine if your accident was preventable or caused by the negligence of the manufacturer or scooter company.
- Road maintenance or disrepair: You may be entitled to compensation from the municipality if the city or town fails to maintain the roads properly and your scooter accident results from that failure. Due to flaws like potholes, fractures, and building materials left on the roads, the municipality can be held liable. In some cases, these risky situations can result in life-threatening injuries. To obtain compensation for your injury, lost wages, and other factors, choose a skilled and experienced scooter accident attorney in Florida to develop your case against the city.
Can I file a scooter accident claim against the city?
The injured scooter riders are eligible to file a scooter accident lawsuit against the city if they were injured due to poorly maintained streets. Various injury lawsuits have been filed in Florida by the pedestrians who have gone through the following situations:
- People who were injured while riding the scooter.
- People who were injured when scooters crashed into them.
- People who tripped over the scooters.
Other parties that can be held liable in a scooter accident claim
- A scooter rider who struck a pedestrian is probably responsible for any injuries or property damage the victim sustains.
- A pedestrian may be held responsible for any injuries or property damage sustained by a scooter user if the pedestrian willfully causes the collision.
- In the event of a collision between a car and a scooter, you can file a scooter accident lawsuit in Florida against the party that broke any rules, laws, or regulations.
- Any injuries or damages sustained by a user, a pedestrian, or a vehicle as a result of a defect can be held accountable by the scooter manufacturer. These circumstances could be the subject of a product liability claim.
- The manufacturer of the scooter may also be responsible for injuries brought on by a non-operational scooter, such as those sustained by a pedestrian who trips over one.
- If there are too many scooters clogging the sidewalks, the city may also be responsible for injuries brought on by non-functioning scooters, such as those sustained by pedestrians who trip over them.
- You can also file a scooter accident lawsuit against the city if the scooter accident is caused by road and walkway debris, unmaintained roads, or unmarked hazards.
- Businesses are also accountable for scooter accidents due to unmaintained work areas, unmarked hazards, road and walkway debris, and more.
Things to do if you are injured in a scooter accident
- If you have been injured in a scooter accident, seek immediate medical attention. It will help you recover faster, and document your injuries to avoid gaps in treatment that may increase the chances to get a fair scooter accident lawsuit settlement.
- Don’t worry if you are unable to stand, you can call 911 and allow paramedics to take you to the nearest emergency department. You can also contact the police if the accident caused severe bodily injury or major property damage.
- However, if you lose consciousness for any length of time, it is important to be examined for your head injuries.
- If the police do not report to the scene, you are allowed to file a police report immediately afterward or a scooter accident lawsuit in 2022.
- When a scooter rider has struck you, you need to gather all the details of the individual, including name, contact information, and driver’s license number. In addition, you need to figure out the type of scooter the rider was on.
- Get the name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, and insurance details of the driver if you are a scooter rider who has been hit by another vehicle.
- Acquire as much proof as you can from the situation to get a fair settlement for your scooter accident.
- If possible, record the situation on camera, including the vehicles, injured people, and the road.
- Find out who might have seen what happened and get their contact information.
- All documentation should be saved and copied, such as records of appointments with doctors, prescription drug or medical device receipts, cost of physical therapy, and all other expenditures associated with your accident or injury, including invoices and receipts.
- You should also keep the documentation of lost income from the number of workdays you missed while recovering with you.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer with experience handling cases involving scooter accidents to file your scooter accident lawsuit.
Get in touch with The Reyes Firm
Contacting a skilled and experienced scooter accident lawyer in Florida will provide you with all the information you need to pursue a case in court. By analyzing your case, The Reyes Firm will help you get maximum compensation for your losses and injuries. We will also provide you with the latest updates regarding the scooter accident claim in 2022. Call us at (833)422-3329 to get a free case evaluation today.